Under the direction of the Manager, Language Training & Daycare, you will assist immigrants in their transition to a new culture and settlement in Canada by helping them develop English language skills and community knowledge that will enhance their full participation in Canadian society.
**Candidates under consideration will be required to participate in an assessment process consisting of any/all of the following: interview, language abilities, and computer testing.
Education and Experience
Bachelor of Education or other Social Science Degree and certification in teaching English as a second language, plus one year of experience delivering instruction or programming to immigrant clients, OR
Bachelor of Education or other Social Science Degree and three years experience teaching English as a second language to adults who are new Canadians adapting to life in Canada.
Required Licenses and/or Certificates
CERTESL Certification, TESL, or related certification from a recognized institution
(see Education and Experience).
Canadian Police Information Center (CPIC) certification with no criminal record
(includes Vulnerable Sector Search). Must be done within last 3 months.
Skills and Abilities
Security and Safety
- Criminal record check (abstract)
Area of Instruction
- Tutor/one-on-one instruction
- Job task planning and organizing
- Working with others
- Oral communication
- Document use
- Provide assistance to students with special needs
- Practical experience related to area of instruction
- Deliver lectures and presentations
- Lead discussion groups and seminars
- Prepare, administer and mark tests and papers to evaluate students' progress
Credentials (certificates, licences, memberships, courses, etc.)
- Industry/Trade certification