Class 3 Building Official
This position is responsible for the inspection of commercial buildings including the examination and evaluation of building permit applications to ensure the effective enforcement of municipal bylaws, building codes, and related provincial statues in order to achieve regulatory compliance.
Must possess, or be willing to obtain a Building officials Class 3 Licence as regulated by the Uniform Building and Accessibility Standards Administration Regulations.
- Must possess a valid driver's license
- Thorough knowledge of the principles and practices of structural engineering as applicable to the design, construction, and maintenance of buildings.
- Ability to review building plans for the purpose of approving compliance of local bylaws and the National Building Code of Canada relating to structural components of buildings.
- Ability to prepare and present complex technical reports.
- Ability to communicate effectively, orally and in writing.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with Council, civic staff, government officials, local businesses, the general public and other groups.
- Skill in organizing assigned activities to provide maximum services effectively.
Education and Experience:
- Typically the knowledge, skills and abilities required for this position are obtained through successful completion of a two (2) year diploma in Architectural Technology, Engineering or Building Construction Technology or educational equivalent.
- Four (4) years related experience working in a building construction or inspection environment.
Skills and Abilities
- Continuous learning
- Computer use
- Finding information
- Job task planning and organizing
- Critical thinking
- Decision making
- Problem solving
- Working with others
- Oral communication
- Document use
- Reading text
- Provide information to employers, employees and general public
- Ensure compliance to drawings, specifications and building codes
- Enforce steel and concrete installation codes
- Examine plans, drawings and site layouts
- Inspect and provide reports on condition of new or resale homes
- Inspect existing buildings for structural defects and fire hazards
- Inspect construction of building and engineering construction
- Inspect to ensure that safe working conditions are maintained
Type of Inspection
- Industrial construction
- New and existing buildings
Credentials (certificates, licences, memberships, courses, etc.)
- Certification by a provincial or territorial association
- Trade certification in related field