The John Howard Society of Saskatchewan - Saskatoon Branch requires 1 Full Time Permanent Caseworker for the Room & Board Program.
Preference for a Bachelor of Social Work or equivalent degree but will consider a combination of directly related education and work experience
Under the supervision of the District Director, or his/her designate, the Supported Independent Living/Room & Board Caseworker will assist in the development, modification, and the evaluation of the Supported Independent Living Program as they provide direct services for hard to serve youth in care of the Minister
An understanding and commitment to the philosophy, goals, and objectives of the John Howard Society.
A familiarity with the problems and characteristics of disadvantaged persons.
An understanding of government and community programs and facilities related to youth and their problems
Familiarity with a variety of institutional and counseling techniques
Requires experience in community assessment and development
Have a working knowledge of crisis intervention theory and practice.
A valid drivers license.
First AID and CPR.
Suicide Intervention training.
Excellent communication, organizational, interpersonal and time management skills.
Good case management skills
Demonstrated ability to maintain positive relationships with youth, businesses, government representatives, etc.
Demonstrated skills in providing supervision to youth.
Ability to maintain a good working relationship with staff and clients.
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE.
We thank all applicants for applying however, only those selected will be contacted.
Skills and Abilities
Ability to Supervise
- Working groups
Security and Safety
- Driving record check (abstract)
- Child welfare check
- Criminal record check (abstract)
- Resolve conflict situations
- Develop, coordinate and implement the delivery of specific services within the community
- Assess client's relevant skill strengths and development needs
- Appraise clients' needs or eligibility for specific services
- Obtain information and prepare reports or case histories
- Continuous learning
- Computer use
- Finding information
- Job task planning and organizing
- Critical thinking
- Decision making
- Problem solving
- Working with others
- Oral communication
- Valid driver's licence
- Willing to travel
Credentials (certificates, licences, memberships, courses, etc.)
- Human Services Diploma
- Social Service Worker ? Gerontology Diploma
- Social Service Worker (SSW) Diploma
- Supervise staff, trainees or volunteers
Target Groups or Clients
- Persons with learning disabilities
- Persons with mental health disabilities
- Persons with physical disabilities
- Persons with intellectual disabilities
- Young offenders
Type of Community or Social Service
- Crime prevention