The Facilities Technician is a 0.5 FTE, in-scope position reporting to the Director of Finance. This position is primarily responsible for overseeing the College facilities and vehicle fleet. The work includes coordinating the maintenance and care taking.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Coordinate, prioritize, assign, and monitor the general operation of the facilities, including grounds and parking lots.
- Determine facility and equipment needs or problems; and coordinate improvements in consultation with supervisor
- Develop and maintain a facility budget in consultation with supervisor
- Develop and assess tenders for repairs and maintenance in consultation with supervisor
- Supervise any on-site contractors
- As required, check equipment to ensure proper functioning
- Ensure the vehicle fleet is maintained appropriately and recommend replacement options to supervisor
- Assist in assessing suitability of short-term lease facilities
- Assist with new capital projects as required
Tasks may include:
- Minor plumbing installations and repairs
- Minor repair and maintenance of HVAC systems
- Roof repair and/or adjustment
- Suspended ceiling repair
- Drywall repairs
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- The ability to work independently and react decisively
- Possess knowledge of sanitation principles, cleaning equipment operation and cleaning chemical usage
- Good interpersonal and communication skills
- Proven organizational skills that allow handling multiple tasks associated with a region-wide responsibility
- Possess a valid driver's license
- Demonstrated ability to perform active physical labor as required
Completion of one-year relevant trades training (eg building trades, HVAC, Fireman's Certificate, Power Engineering, Building Trades). WHMIS is mandatory.
Minimum experience would be two years in facility maintenance and supervision.